This is the first and only quilt I have ever made using t-shirts. I just kinda made it up as I went along- its about a twin size. I took the shirts to the fabric store and tried to coordinate some of the colors.
After I added the iron on stabilizer, I squared up the pictures. Every one was a different size, so I just added fabrics until they were the same size as the next square. If you've ever pieced a quilt back from extra yardage and left over quilt blocks, this is about the same method.
The letter blocks were stitched on an embroidery machine. (Her horse's name was Shoshoney)
I added some easy quilt blocks to make it interesting and to take up space.
This horse block was found online under "horse coloring pages." I figure coloring book pages are usually pretty simple and easy to copy and embroider. I just traced the pieces, ironed on the fabric, cut the pieces out, peeled off the paper, ironed them on to the backing fabric and used a blanket stitch around the edges.
I was concerned that it would feel stiff, but if feels just like any other quilt without all the stabilizer. Overall, I think it turned out really good and would do it again.