Sunday, January 20, 2013

Horse T-shirt Quilt


Here is a quilt I made for a friend who was really involved with horses.  I guess its like if you are a runner and every race you run gets you a t-shirt- she went to lots of horse events.


This is the first and only quilt I have ever made using t-shirts.  I just kinda made it up as I went along- its about a twin size.  I took the shirts to the fabric store and tried to coordinate some of the colors.  



After I added the iron on stabilizer, I squared up the pictures.  Every one was a different size, so I just added fabrics until they were the same size as the next square.  If you've ever pieced a quilt back from extra yardage and left over quilt blocks, this is about the same method.   


The letter blocks were stitched on an embroidery machine. (Her horse's name was Shoshoney)


I added some easy quilt blocks to make it interesting and to take up space. 


This horse block was found online under "horse coloring pages."  I figure coloring book pages are usually pretty simple and easy to copy and embroider. I just traced the pieces, ironed on the fabric, cut the pieces out, peeled off the paper, ironed them on to the backing fabric and used a blanket stitch around the edges.

  I was concerned that it would feel stiff, but if feels just like any other quilt without all the stabilizer.  Overall, I think it turned out really good and would do it again.


3 comments:

  1. Nice quilt, good job co-ordinating the colors. Love the Arabian, upper left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work! I've got t-shirts spread out in my living room now trying to figure out how I'm going to make a t-shirt quilt. You have given me great inspiration. Can you tell me the type of stabilizer you used? The name brand and the thickness or weight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a little while, but I just used a very light weight fusible interfacing from Joann fabrics. I remember that I purchased it by the yard, not packaged. I was really pleased with mine because all the squares were different sizes which was a pain at first, but in the end, made it more interesting. Hope this helps - send a pict when you're done!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments!