Friday, January 31, 2014

Hexie Progress (and a Sneak Peak)

I finished two hexie half-stars this week. 



Last weekend I pushed all of the furniture out of the way, and vacuumed and mopped, which is quite the chore.   
Then I layed out all of the circle and star pieces I have so far, which also involves a lot stooping and bending- who says quilting isn't exercise? 



After all of that, I discovered too many stars!  The bad news is that its hard to disassemble most of a star with the seam ripper to make a half star.  The good news is at least I know they are sewn together well and the quilt should last!



Currently I am working on the final three half-stars, then the fun begins. I have to figure out a way to sew the pieces into rows.  I was thinking of doing a tutorial for anyone who wants to try this pattern.

Some assembled pieces.
 I originally found this picture of a quilt top at the Nebraska History Museum and never having done any kind of hand-piecing or hexies, had to figure it out as I went.

Piles of parts!

Along the way I discovered some tricks and tips that others might find helpful. I am taking some pictures with that in mind, so look for it in the future.
I am linking to Hexie Friday here.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. It's just wonderful. I can't believe you figured it out without a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks soooo beautiful! Good for you for figuring out the pattern on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fabrics you've used. I look forward to seeing the entire thing laid out. It looks like a puzzle right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous! You've done a fabulous job - you must be a natural. Not sure where you use those half stars - hope you post again on Hexie Weekend. Loved this eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! This quilt is amazing! Would you mind sharing the pattern you figured out? I would love to try it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hexagons are my very favorite to hand piece & also, hand quilt. In fact, it was the very first quilt I ever made. I drive a school bus for most of our district's athletic games & events. So, I do a lot of sitting & waiting. You would be amazed with how much you can get accomplished & listening to an audio book at the same time. Your quilt is absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a throw for my mom with hexagons too. But I didn't have a pattern for the throw. I did it in a circle .

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!